Turkey Week with My Dad and Sister

Last week my dad and sister came to visit for the big turkey day! This was the most time the three of us have spent together consecutively since my parents got separated back when I was in high school so I was really excited for the quality time together! They flew into New Orleans on Sunday (11/20) and stayed until Friday (11/25). 

Sunday 11.20

After picking them up at the airport we drove into New Orleans for a late lunch/early dinner. Since my dad has diabetes and my sister is lactose intolerant - we were very food conscious all week! We settled on Legacy Kitchen in the Warehouse district for 2 reasons: 1) It had food options my family could eat and 2) It was the only restaurant we could find open on a Sunday. We have had this issue in the past where we have had guests visiting on a Sunday and have struggled to find a local New-Olreansy style restaurant to take them too. A lot of the popular ones are closed that day of the week so it is always a challenge! After a yummy dinner we stopped at the Kenner Cafe Du Monde on the way back to Baton Rouge to pick up some beignet (per my sisters demand request). After everyone got settled in - we decorated for Christmas!!! I know it was super early - but I wanted to be able to decorate with my family while they were here! 
(More pictures/stories on Christmas decorating to come in future blog posts)

Monday 11.21

Monday was our Baton Rouge tourist-y day. We started off with going to the top of the Capital Building. Fun fact: The Louisiana Capital is the tallest one in the country! It has amazing views of the Mississippi River, LSU and downtown Baton Rouge. It is also totally free and one of my favorite things to do with visiting guests! 

 

After our skyscraper adventure we met up with Ryan for lunch (he didn't have time off of work) at Aztecas Mexican Cuisine downtown. From there my dad requested a stop at the Harley Davidson store (he collects t-shirts to all of the places he travels) and my plan was then to go to Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center for some hiking. Well plan fail. I totally didn't realize that it was closed on Mondays so that got scratched!

It was ok that our afternoon plans fell through because we had big plans for the evening! We went the the 13th Gate Escape Room and spent our evening trying to break out of Death Row! For the record, we totally did not escape - but had a lot of fun trying! If you have never done an Escape Room - I really recommend it! It is a fantastic team-building experience (or just some hilarious quality bonding)!
 
 Tuesday 11.22

Tuesday morning we got up early and took ourselves to my favorite Baton Rouge breakfast place - Franks! They boast to have the worlds best biscuits and honestly I have never had better! After we filled up on yummy breakfast food we decided to spend the day at the zoo! My dad claims that he hasn't been to the zoo since my sister and I were little and I think he had a blast! He took a million photos of the Rhino's so I think those had to be his favorite! 

 (I think the zoo was confused which Holiday it was) 

 

That night we decided to try out the local Movie Tavern. This is a fancy movie theater with reclining chairs and people that serve you dinner and snacks before the movie! We saw Dr. Strange (which was really good) and ate way too much food! 

Wednesday 11.23

On Wednesday we decided to stay in and avoid the holiday travel traffic! We played games, went for walks, baked pies and prepped for Thanksgiving! My sister took a lot of naps!


And Willow did a whole lot of snuggling in our bed (which he normally isn't allowed to do)!

 

Thursday 11.24

Thanksgiving!! 
More on this to come tomorrow! 

 

We had to say goodbye early Friday morning which was a bummer! It was a really good week though and it was really nice to spend the time with my dad and my sister! 

Comments

Popular Posts