Saying Goodbye to Home

This past week it has been officially decided that my mother is selling the house I grew up in. If we are getting technical… my very first home was on the second floor of a 3-decker on Vernon Hill in Worcester, Massachusetts… but at the age of 3 my parents bought a house near Tatnuck Square in Worcester and that is the the place I have always considered home

It is the place I spent holidays, 
It is the place I learned to ride a bike, 
It is the place I had every birthday sleepover, 
It is the place I stay when I am visiting Massachusetts,  
It is the place I had my first kiss,
It is the place our beloved pets are buried, 
It is the place my sister, dad and I built a tree fort,  
It is the place we carved our names in the cement on the porch, 

It has always been what I thought of as home.

 

I've lived in Louisiana for almost 3 years now and haven't lived in that house since the summer breaks in college. I've heard the phrase... "Home is where the Heart is" a million times... but at the same time my heart hurts knowing that the next time I go to Massachusetts… that will no longer be my home. 

The house is going on the market June 1st and my fingers are crossed it won't sell until after July so I will be able to say goodbye (I plan to be in MA the week of July 4th). 

How does one say goodbye to your childhood home? I know I want to take a picture of the front of the house, my room and of the cement name carvings… but is there a good way to immortalize the house!? Does anyone have any recommendations of some way to remember it by?

Beautifully stated by Kelli Kehler:

"So what is it that makes us mourn the loss of a structure? It’s not the great architecture, or the way the light pours in through the windows in the morning. It’s the loss of the vessel that held our memories. It’s almost as if leaving a home rich in such a lived-in history causes our memories to spill out everywhere, and we feel like we’ve spun out of orbit, scrambling to collect them."

Comments

Popular Posts