Orpheuscapade

For those not local to Louisiana - one of the big things to do around Mardi Gras is to attend a ball. Like tux required, floor length gown, Cinderella level, fancy ball. Some of the more notable parades have large epic sized balls: The Endymion parade ends in the Superdome and the Orpheus parade ends in the convention center - each with a large after-party ball! 

It was something Ryan and I had always talked about doing since it is such a unique Louisiana event but you sort of have to know someone or have an "in" to attend since, even though they are open to the public, they cost lots of $$$$. 

My boss is actually on the board for the Orpheus Parade and this year invited Ryan and I to join her at the ball! We said yes immediately and started planning the adventure! 

Orpheus in on Lundi Gras (the Monday before Mardi Gras) and is a huge 36 float parade!


Ryan and I drove into New Orleans Monday afternoon, checked into our hotel and got ready for the ball! I wore a dress I had lying around from being a Maid of Honor in a wedding and Ryan had rented a classic black and white Tuxedo! 


I did my own hair since I didn't really have the money to have it professionally done. Just a side braid around my head into a twisted braid bun!



 

Nothing beats a bow tie!!

We drove to the convention center a couple hours early because they close the roads for the parade and we wanted to make sure we got in before that! 




Before the doors opened I was analyzing the floor map. My boss got us tickets in the VIP section (bottom middle section across from the stage) and you can see by the arrows where the parade goes through the convention center. Too cool.

 

The whole set-up was amazing! in the VIP section we had a free open bar, catered food, balloons and flowers on our tables! 



We also had an awesome view of the stage!


My boss totally set us up... the VIP section was LEGIT. Like celebrities upon celebrities! Ryan and I were a bit star stuck! 

We first ran into Johnny Damon who was sitting at the table next to ours. 



For those who do not know who he is: he is a baseball player who played for the Red Sox and Yankees. Ryan was loving it! 

 

Next we saw Harry Connick Jr. His dad is one of the founders of the Orpheus parade so he is a usual at the ball. He rode on one of the floats and then later performed on stage.


 We also spend a decent amount of time hanging with Jimmi Simpson (star of Westworld and House of Cards). He was really friendly and we bonded over our love of the Berkshires. 


 

The main performer of the ball was Bret Michaels! Ryan really didn't know who this was but my sister and I used to watch that ridiculous show Rock of Love when we were in high school so I was pretty excited to see him!  Did anyone else watch that show?!



 

The ball started at 7pm and the parade didn't get there until around 10pm. When it finally did come through the convention center it was like something out of a dream. The floats are all lit up and magical - it was really a once in the lifetime experience!




 


Bret Michaels was still performing at 1:30am when we decided to call it a night... we were pooped! I was also starting to get sick (see yesterdays post) so we didn't stay until the 3am closing time! 

What an experience! There is nothing in the world like Mardi Gras and nothing in the world like a Mardi Gras ball! Unbelievable! 

Comments

  1. I've never experienced Mardi Gras but would love to someday. Looks like that was an amazing time and it's neat that you got to schmooze with celebrities. You and your guy look great dressed up. I saw Bret Michaels play in concert not too long after Rock of Love aired.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts