Easter Weekend in Review!


This was such a good weekend but man it flew by quickly!! …Which is saying something because it was an extra-long weekend with Friday off in observance of Good Friday! Here is my Easter weekend in Review (I should have done this yesterday but was way too excited to share my corned beef and cabbage recipe!!

Friday

I had every intention of doing absolutely nothing on Friday but my to-do list gradually started to grow over the course of week! One thing that was a must-do was complete our apartment inspection. As most of you apartment-renters know, when you move into an apartment you must fill out an inspection form saying anything you found broken/wrong in the apartment upon your move-in. Well I did my walk through and noted some bumps and bruises (mind you - this apartment is pretty nice) and go to turn the form in and our resident handy-man turned me away!! He told me I wasn’t being picky enough and he didn’t want me to get in trouble in the long run! This is when I knew I was going to like him! Any person who has your best interests at heart is a fan of mine! So I went back to my apartment and noted every little scratch I could find! Phew!

So after I re-turned in the form a little while later the handy-man comes by with the list – he came to fix a couple things I had noted – and we got a-talkin’. If I hadn't known I liked him before- I totally liked him now!

Ever since I have moved to the south I have noticed people are of two extremes: either they are super open and talkative and are willing to give you their whole life story upon meeting them OR they are reserved and on the quieter end. He was definitely option 1!

He told me all about the different apartments he has worked at over the years and all the different characters he has met. He told me he plans to write a book titled “What you don’t know about your neighbors” where he will tell all the tales of the interesting people he has met over the years (one example: he met a man who taught Elvis karate… crazy right)! He was telling me about how he and his wife met during a low point in their lives where they were both homeless and how they have worked hard to get to where they are now. They have a beautiful home, a large family and he is even going back to school! He told me that through all of their ups and downs – love is the most important thing. Money really has no value if you have love! Are you loving this man yet?!

I am pretty sure we talked for an hour or two as he was doing stuff around the apartment!! He totally made my day! 

The rest of Friday consisted of errands and a lazy evening watching Mary Poppins. I wish movies these days were still like that! Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke are definitely up there in my list of favorite performers!


Saturday

On Saturday, in order to get into the Easter spirit – my boyfriend and I dyed Easter eggs! I’m not 100% sure he was as into it as I was but he played along which I always appreciate!!


Can you guess which ones I did and which my boyfriend did?!

After the eggs, we snuggled in for the yearly tradition of watching The Ten Commandments (and trying to make it through the whole thing but never succeeding). This movie is something my dad and I really love and look forward to every year but 5 hours of a movie is definitely not for everyone!! I made it a solid 3 hours (made it through the plagues) and then had to call it quits because I was falling asleep on the couch!

Sunday

Easter Sunday! My boyfriend and I exchanged Easter baskets (another little tradition we started when we moved in together a couple years ago) and ate a decent amount of candy before going to church. We tried a new church since it was our first Sunday in the new city and I think we found one we really enjoyed!
This was my basket!! The Easter Bunny knows that the way to my heart is through chocolate!! 

After mass we made a hardy Easter breakfast – ham, eggs, fruit, toast – the works! 


Next we prepped the Corned Beef and Cabbage since it needed 3ish hours to boil and we were rooting for an early dinner. To read my post on my Family’s Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe go here.


The next couple hours consisted of facetime calls with family in Massachusetts and a half hearted Hunger Games Marathon. We were missing being home for Easter! We still had fun just the two of us but it would have been nice if we could of traveled home! 

I finally got a chance to bake a cake from Mix and Match Mama's 100 bundt cakes book! I made her Cadbury Cream Egg cake (my favorite Easter candy)! 


Let me tell you - this picture does not do it justice!!! It was PHENOMENAL! We may have gone a little overboard on the frosting… but hey… we like it sweet!! Two day later and the cake is mostly gone! We have been devouring it! #ThankYouMix&MatchMama

The day ended on a semi-sad note: I needed to be in New Orleans Monday morning for work so it made more sense to sleep in the empty old apartment (since we have it this week still) so the commute wouldn't suck in the morning. So I packed up my things and said goodbye to my boy and bunny and spent the night on an air mattress in New Orleans. 

BUT!! One good thing did come out of that trip! Before we moved, at the old apartment, a mama duck had laid a BUNCH of eggs right next to our apartment so everyday my boyfriend and I would comment if the baby ducks had arrived yet. The eggs were still there when we moved so we figured we would miss the babies arrivals… but low and behold… Easter Sunday when I got to the old apartment… there were tons of baby ducks running around!! What a great day to be born!! 

Sorry the picture is kinda sucky - I didn't want to get close to the mama and her new babies! 

So there you have it! That was our Easter weekend in a nutshell! Hope you all had a weekend too! XOXO WC

Comments

Popular Posts