Corned Beef and Cabbage

Since I'm sure most of us are in a chocolate coma (thanks Easter Bunny), I thought it would be fun to share our Easter dinner with all of you! 


Mmm corned beef and cabbage! 


This past sunday we had switched the traditional Easter ham dinner with corned beef and cabbage! We had missed Saint Patricks day do to the big apartment move but we made sure to buy a corned beef to save for Easter! Both my boyfriend and I are Irish so a goof ole meat and potato dinner is in our blood! 

Since it came out sooo yummy (and since we are probably eating the leftovers for days), I thought I would share my family's recipe!! Don't worry - it's not a secret so I won't get in trouble for sharing! 


My family's Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe: 


Ingredients (2-4 people)

- 1 Corned Beef Brisket 
- 3 Potatoes (My favorite are Yukon Gold) 
- 1 Onion
- 5 large carrots (or a bag of baby carrots) 

Directions

1. Determine the weight of the corned beef - this will determine the cooking time! For every pound of brisket, there are that many hours of stove top simmering! This past weekend our corned beef was 3.5lbs so it cooked 3 hours and 30 mins! 

2. Place brisket in large pot and fill with water so that brisket is completely submerged. If a seasoning packet is included with your brisket, add that to the pot.


3. Bring water to a boil and then lower the temperature to a simmer. 


4. 30 minutes before the brisket is fully cooked - add diced carrots, potatoes, onions & cabbage. Better to put the heavy ingredients in first and lighter ingredients in last! 


5. When your simmering time is up… carve the corned beef, strain the veggies and enjoy! 


Guys. It is that easy!! Also completely yummy! I mean… look how happy this guy is sitting down for dinner?!




Hope you all enjoy some Irish cooking!! <3 WC 



Comments

Popular Posts