Beating the United System

United has had some bad press lately. If you haven't heard the story of the guy who got dragged off an overbooked flight you can read about it here.

This circumstance worked in my favor last week. 

I was in Houston for a quick business trip Tuesday to Thursday and was scheduled to fly home at 10:00am (direct flight) with my coworker. Unfortunately United once again over-booked their flight. As we were lining up to board they were made an announcement that they were willing to give $400 vouchers for 2 people to take a later flight. I was totally tempted but also kinda just wanted to get back home. As the plane was boarding, the United representative up'd the voucher to $500 and then as the rest of us were boarding the flight up to $600! My coworker and I were some of the last people to board the flight and as we were getting on the plane I (mostly as a joke) went up to the rep and said, "If you up it to $1000, I'll do it." She kinda looked at me and laughed so I boarded the plane. Just as I was walking down the plane aisle she came running down the gate and pointed right at me - "You still willing to do it for $1000?!" and without a moments hesitation I went "YUP." Clearly they were desperate and afraid of having to kick off two people from the overbooked flight! I got off the plane and 1 minute later my coworker got off the plane. He got the deal too!! We got home 6 hours later then originally planned but made a lot of money doing so! 

The best part about the voucher is that it has to be used within 1 year of receipt... which is perfect timing for our HONEYMOON!!! We decided that we are going to Hawaii and the first thing I did after I signed for my voucher was make sure that United flew to Hawaii... and they do!! This voucher will pay for one of our roundtrip tickets! Can't wait!!

If you find yourself in a similar situation - know there is room for negotiation! I would of never guessed this was something they would be willing to negotiate on but apparently desperate times call for desperate measures! 

 


Comments

Popular Posts