The Peculiar Children Series

Over the last month or two I have been reading the Peculiar Children's Series by Ransom Riggs. These have been my lunch break reads per the recommendation of 12 year old family friend.  



Book 2: Hollow City 


Book 3: Library of Souls 


Book 1 Overview

A mysterious island.



An abandoned orphanage.



A strange collection of very curious photographs.



It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. 

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

I really liked book 1. It is fun, mysterious and is really good for a light read. Book two…. eh not so much. For a children's book it seemed to have a rather complicated plot. Book 3 was a little more redeeming but was still not as good as Book 1. I probably would of stopped mid-way through Book 2 had I not felt obligated to finish it out AND since I had bought all three books as a set. 

These books are also going to be a movie
It comes out the end of next month. 



But from watching the trailer - and having read the books…. they look extremely different. I hate when movies are based off books and the plots/characters are completely different…. so because of that… I doubt I will go out to see it… I will probably wait until it is out on Netflix. 

My recommendation: Read book 1. Stop there. Maybe go see the Movie. 

Comments

Popular Posts