Harry Potter and The Cursed Child

Man do I love me some Harry Potter! 

I hated reading until my 5th grade teacher made me read the first Harry Potter book and it was love at first page! For that I credit Harry Potter for my love of reading! 

So when I heard that JK Rowling along with John Tiffany and Jack Thorne were writing a two part play to be the 8th and final story of Harry Potter… I knew I had to read it!

#TeamHufflepuff


So on Sunday I went to Barnes and Noble…. 


…got myself a copy...


… and read the entire thing in 5 hours!!! 

Yup. 5 hours exactly!! I started at 1pm and didn't stop until I finished at 6pm!

Now I know everyone is not as quick of a reader as I am so don't worry I will not give anything away! 

Overall I really liked it. It is nice to see where Harry, Ron & Hermione end up after 19 years. The play was also very adult. Not adult in the rating but adult in the morals. Adult Harry has to deal with being a parent which is an adventure all on it's own. The primary focus of the play is between Harry and his relationship with his second son Albus. 

As best said by the book overview

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

Now there are a couple things I wasn't a huge fan of. Obviously the book is a play and not a novel. This wasn't a huge deal to me but it definitely wasn't the same as if had been a novel. I also think that is one of the reasons I read it so darn quick. The other thing that really bugged me was how they portrayed Ron. Ron was always one of my favorite characters in books 1-7 but in this 8th storyline his character was more of a joke which bugged me. Make your own opinions but for some reason that stuck out to me. 

Overall I give it an 8.5/10 

I think it was appropriately different but I also felt like it was a tease back into the world of magic which leaves you just wanting more! 

Next up on my reading list… 


I am finally jumping on the Elin Hilderbrand bandwagon and have heard good things about Paula Hawkins so I will give them a try! I am also on the 3rd Peculiar Children's novel which I plan to finish this week! 

Comments

Popular Posts