Cooking My Way Through Eats ~ January


For Christmas I bought myself Mix and Match Mama's new cookbook: Eats and one of my New Year's Goals was to cook my way through it! The book is broken up by month and my goal is to try out a new entree, breakfast and dessert recipe for each one!

For January... 


Entree :Pizza Meatballs


This recipe was super easy since I had all of the ingredients (with the exception of pepperoni) so it was simple to put together! I did half of the meatballs with onions (for Ryan) and the rest without (for me).

 







425 degrees for 15 minutes was perfect!! They cooked all the way through and weren't over cooked! We paired them with spaghetti squash and tomato sauce! The best part is we got two meals out of them! 

Breakfast: Walnut Butterscotch Oatmeal 


For this one I should start with sharing my homemade oatmeal recipe (SO EASY)...
 
Ingredients: 
1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup oats

That's it!! 
Bring the milk to a boil and then add the oats. Let simmer on medium for 5 minutes.

 

 

From here I just added the walnuts and butterscotch chips: 




This one was definitely a favorite and we will SO be making it again! My only mistake was that I was a little heavy handed on the chocolate chips so it was a little too sweet. Next time I wont do nearly as many. I loved the combination of mushy oatmeal with crunchy walnuts! The chocolate melted really quick when mixed so it gave it a great creaminess to it! Yum!

Dessert: Chocolate Cinnamon Bread Pudding
  

 When I went to the super-market to buy the ingredients for this recipe I had ZERO luck finding Challah... which was unfortunate since I wanted to stay true to the recipe. The good news is I live in Louisiana which is THE place to be for bread pudding! I asked the lady at the bakery what she recommended and her immediate and definitive response was "Fresh French Bread." So that is what I got! 

 

 

 

Adding the 4 cups of Milk 


The eggs, sugars, cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate chips!

  

 The bread after it absorbed the bread. 

  


At this point we refrigerated the dish for a couple hours since I was not ready to bake it quite yet.


After baking! 

 

 

It came out great!! Ryan and I definitely enjoyed a couple days yummy warm bread pudding! My only complaint (which isn't even a complaint) was that this recipe made a LOT of bread pudding which was wayyy to much for just the two of us! The good news is that we froze over half the dish to enjoy another day! No clue if bread pudding is one of those desserts that freezes well or not but we are excited about enjoying it at some other point in the future! 

So that was January! 
We are still debating which recipes we want to try for February! 
So far so good though!

 

Comments

Popular Posts