Mardi Gras Part 1: King Cake

It's that time of year… what time you say? MARDI GRAS. For basically everyone who does not live in the state of Louisiana… Yes Mardi Gras is a season and not just one day. Technically it started on January 6th, which is King's Day (Feast of the Epiphany)…. but lets be real… the second the Christmas decorations were off the shelves, Mardi Gras season started. Whereas in the rest of the country people are complaining about Valentines day decorations being out too soon… good ole Louisiana is squeezing in an entire holiday season. As this is my second Mardi Gras living in New Orleans I think I am starting to figure it all out! In order to cover all of the things I have learned over the past two years, I will be breaking up this post into 3 parts! 


So what have I learned about Mardi Gras?

First off… Kings Cake. Kings Cake, also known as the lovable, bundt-shaped, cinnamon bun, choking hazard is the food of the season. 



Here's how it works … someone buys the first Kings Cake for the office. Over the course of the week (or day depending on your coworkers sweet tooth) everyone has a piece. But here is the sneaky part! Somewhere baked inside the cake is a small plastic (unbelievably creepy) baby. If you are the one who gets the piece of cake containing the baby, you are blessed with luck!…. and it also means you have to buy the next King's Cake for the office (is that actually luck or just a pain in the bum?? … you decide)!



 
(Is this not the creepiest thing?!) 

I love me some Kings Cake. I think people in the south hold off on doing New Years resolutions until Mardi Gras is over mostly so they can enjoy this awesome dessert!! It really is quite yummy! People go all out here. I have seen Kings Cake shakes and King Cake cheesecake (try saying that 10 times fast!). You can also get many different types of Kings Cake: classic cinnamon, cream cheese, fruit stuffed, praline and I even heard on the radio that they are making a meal Kings Cake which is stuffed with meat, cheese and veggies. Crazy! If you have never had a piece - put it on your bucket list!! 

More to come on my Mardi Gras learnings! For now…. I am still recovering from my piece of Kings Cake from lunch (PS- no one has gotten the baby yet!!) <3WC 

Comments

Popular Posts