I got a Brazilian Wax and I am here to talk about it!

People do crazy things for their wedding. 
I know for sure I did! 

My Aunt owns a spa and she got me to do some beauty things I would normally never do. These included eyelash extensions, spray tans and fancy hair appointments. I am a pretty low-key person when it comes to my beauty regime... on a normal day I may wear some nude eye shadow and mascara and make sure my hair isn't crazy but that is usually about it! 

But for the wedding... I was determined to go hard core.
And that included a Brazilian wax. 

My Aunts spa does not do Brazilian waxes but I did get some great tips from her for what to look for when picking out a place to be waxed. 

You want: 

A person who has been doing this for YEARS 
The salon needs to have good waxing reviews and be very clean
And make sure that whoever is doing the waxing uses a new wax stick after every dip (this ensures cleanliness and good hygiene practice) 

So I started the hunt. I read review upon review upon review and you know what my deciding decision was based on? A friends review! One of my girlfriends got her first brazilian wax for her wedding at the salon I went to and she had great things to say about the place and experience. She said it was very private and extremely professional. Exactly what I was looking for!

I went to Saint Cyr Spa in Worcester, MA.



To prepare for the wax I read like 10 articles on "How to Prepare for your first Brazilian wax"
The things I found the most helpful were: 

Don't shave a couple weeks prior (1/4 inch hair is the best length)
Shower beforehand - you feel clean for both yourself and your waxer 
Take Tylenol 30min before
 All the info about positions you would end up in (I am super visual and knowing exactly what I was going to have to do when I was there helped me be less nervous) 
Wear a skirt (that way you can lift it up and not feel completely exposed)

That being said... I was NERVOUS. I was frantically texting my girlfriends as I was sitting in the waiting room. I've had facial waxes done before (eyebrows & lip) but nothing in the southern region! 

When it was my turn, they called my name and I was brought into a small room that had dim lights  (except for a spotlight) with a bed in the middle of the room. I told my attendant that this was my first time and that I was a little nervous and she told me she would go as fast as she could (thank goodness).

From there she told me to strip off my underwear and lay flat on my back with my legs spread. I had the skirt on so I lifted it up and she went straight to work. She started off in the bikini line area and the first strip honestly really wasn't that bad. I'm not sure if it was the Tylenol or if I have a higher tolerance for pain but I was surprised with how it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I was anticipating it to be. I actually started to calm down quite a bit when she got started and I knew what sort of pain to expect. She did the whole front side and the part that hurt the worst was the middle (if you know what I mean). 

I then had to roll over and lay on my stomach. Going to be completely blunt here. This part is the most awkward (but hurts the least). She literally asked me to spread my cheeks LOL. I am so glad I knew this was coming ahead of time because otherwise I would of been like... wtf?! I swear this part didn't hurt at all but definitely the strangest/most uncomfortable. It also didn't help that there was a big mirror and I awkwardly watched her perform the wax hahahaha! #Struggle

And then it was done! The whole thing took only 15/20minutes.
I tipped heavily (like 50%). I feel like anyone who has to do that sort of thing deserves a big tip! 

Fast forward 2.5 weeks - the hair was still gone! It started to come back right after that but super thin and only a little bit at a time.  It was so worth it! I didn't need to think about that area at all during our trip to Hawaii!

 Would I do it again - Yes
Will I do it all the time - No 

So there you have it - probably my most TMI post to date. These sort of posts were what made me feel better/prepare for the experience so if this could help anyone then it was totally worth it!

Comments

Popular Posts