Farewell Childhood Home Part 1


As I have mentioned countless times in recent posts… my childhood home has been up for sale and has just recently sold. Last week when I was visiting Massachusetts for a wedding, I came to the sad realization that that trip would be the very last time I would ever stay the night in that house. 

#CommenceHeartbreak

This house… 

was the place I spent holidays, 
was the place I learned to ride a bike, 
was the place I had every birthday sleepover, 
was the place my sister and I would play hide and seek,
was the place I stay when I was visiting Massachusetts, 
was the place I had my first kiss,
was the place our beloved pets are buried, 
was the place my sister, dad and I built a tree fort, 
was the place we carved our names in the cement on the porch, 

was the place I had always considered home.

I have been going through mood swings of times where I am ok with it and other times I have been having a super hard time. The last couple years in my life have been crazy…moving to Louisiana and then moving 4 times in 3 years within Louisiana… but going back to Massachusetts there has always been this stability and comfort of going home.

  After saying goodbye last weekend and joking the whole time that I was planning to write a eulogy for the house, I thought some more about it and decided that wasn't the worst idea ever. But instead of a eulogy… I am going to take two posts to say farewell and thank the house for the love and shelter it provided me the last 13 years.  


So welcome to the home I spent most of my life in. My childhood home in Worcester, Massachusetts. Today I will talk about the outside and tomorrow I will talk about the inside! 

Outside:





This was my room! To the right of the bush my mother used to grow some beautiful roses that I could see and smell from my window.



A flashback on the front steps….


Before backpacking Europe...


It wasn't always good weather… it is Massachusetts after all! 


And for some blackmail photos… Senior Prom… 


I thought I was so cool on my dads bike. LOL. 


Growing up there was this big tree in the front yard… 


...but due to some low hanging dangerous branches it had to be cut down years ago. My sister missed the tree and recently planted this little cherry tree in it's place. I hated it at first but now it just seems to fit. There was always meant to be a tree there! 

 

Moving to the backyard… 

The sad falling apart shed. I used to hunt for garden snakes here! 



And behind/next to the shed is where raspberries grow and where my sister and I would have all sorts of mini adventures! 




My mother has had these stone bunnies for as long as I can remember! I hope she takes them to her new apartment! 


One of my favorite backyard features is the fire-pit I built back when I was in high school. 

The conversation with my mother went: 

Me: Mom can I go did a big hole in the backyard?
Mom: Sure
Me: Really?
Mom: Yup. 

So I did! 


This fire pit has gotten a lot of love over the years! We burned every single one of our science fair projects here! 



And right next to the fire pit… My dad had made this little patio under the porch! 


My favorite part…. These!!! My dad let us carve our names into the concrete foundation with our cute little kid handwriting. I wish we could save these slabs somehow… This is one of the things I will miss the most. 



Going up to the porch (which clearly needs a good paint job)…. this was where we ate dinner every night during the summer! I loved reading out here! 



There was also a lot of fun on this porch! 



**Sigh** 

I am going to miss this place! 

Thanks for letting me share this special place with all of you!
Tomorrow I will be back to share the inside! 

Comments

Popular Posts