Top 5 Things Louisiana is Missing out on!

As I mentioned in my "About Me" section - I am a Massachusetts missing Louisiana transport. I have lived in the "deep south" for two years now and have noticed a couple things LA unfortunately is either lacking in or does not have at all!!


So here is my list of the Top 5 Things Louisiana is Missing out on!

1) Homemade Icecream
Since my move to Louisiana I have been on a quest for some quality homemade ice-cream. LA you have answered my call! Creole Creamery is the only place so far that has lived up to my standards. Besides this location, it seems like a whole lot of chain ice-cream places. That and LA has this weird obsession with SnowBalls… aka flavored ice. I don't get it… its just ice…with flavored syrup... but I digress. MA has a plethora of homemade ice-cream places. PBS has this awesome list of the best ice-cream in MA. It can be found here. Here are some of my MA favorites!


Meola's Wayside Ice Cream - where the line is down the street in the summer

Kimball Farm - where a "small" is the size of 2 fists 

Four Seas Ice Cream - where the ice-cream is award winning

2) Diners
I love me a good diner. They are everywhere in MA! One summer by boyfriend and I decided to try and go to as many as we could (I think we only made it to 5… but that's still a lot)! Nothing beats an old fashioned diner breakfast. First off they are adorable. Second the food is never fake (I'm looking at you powdered egg nonsense), but a real hardy American breakfast and third they are usually pretty inexpensive! Not to mention they are also so freakin cute! Just look!






 

3) Amusement Parks
The city of New Orleans in Louisiana used to have a Six Flags. Unfortunately Hurricane Katrina wiped it out in 2005 and do to the extensive damage from the storm it never re-opened. 



It has been 10 years. It is time Louisiana opens up an amusement park. There is a water park called Blue Bayou near the city of Baton Rouge, but it is only open select weekends in the summer and it is not very large. If I only had a couple million dollars to invest, I would totally put it toward opening an amusement park somewhere in this part of the south (just maybe a little higher than sea level)… **sigh**  
   
4) Dunkin Donuts
Something you are seriously missing out on Louisiana is Dunks. You will never truly know the delights of a sausage, egg and cheese on a plain bagel at any time of the day, or the pleasure of a creamsicle coolata in the summer or a fun festive donut for basically any occasion! I don't even drink coffee but being born in New England I run on Dunkins! Ok I get it - you have a few… but lets just take a look at the facts. In MA you really can't leave a Dunks without seeing another one, LA you have to go way out of your way to get one. See…google map proof!

Massachusetts …

Louisiana… 

5) White Christmas!
My boyfriend I have discussed on multiple occasions about how there are not definitive seasons in the south so the year sort of blurs together. Where this really comes to play is around Christmas. People are still wearing shorts and, besides it no longer being a scorching 100 degrees, the only sign of the weather changing is that the leaves are gone (but don't get me started on the lack of Autumn... the leaves here take the word "fall" literally and one day you just wake up and they are gone). There is also nothing stranger than those blow up Christmas decorations in a yard with a palm tree. Just doesn't seem natural. I propose the people of the south to start traveling North for the Winter instead of the reverse. Get the experience and beauty of snow fall and all that comes with it. Snowmen, snowball fights, winter sports and the joy of hot cocoa when you are chilled to the bones! You don't know what your missing!

I'm dreaming of a white christmas… just like the ones I used to know! 






Now by no means am I dissing Louisiana in any way (I plan to do this same post in reverse at some point). Poor LA, you're just missing out on some of the joys in life =)

Have a great weekend my friends <3 WC

Comments

Popular Posts